Monday, October 3, 2016

9/26/16 - 10/8/16 - Davis Mountains State Park, Fort Davis, TX

This post will be for the time we stay at Davis Mountains State Park for the Javelina Roundup Rally.  This post will be for 14 days.

We had breakfast at Marathon Coffee Shop this morning.  When we got up we learned that there had been a shooter near our house in Houston and he had shot 9 people.  We watched ABC 13 in Houston via live stream for about and hour and a half and then went for breakfast.  It rained all day today. Our reservation for the state park is not until Thursday but when we arrived they had a space for us to camp until then.  We will probably move on Thursday again.  We don’t have cell service again so Allen went over the mail with us by Facebook Messenger.

Today is National Corned Beef Day, I fixed corned beef, fried egg, green chili salsa and tortillas for breakfast. We walked all of the roads and up to the Lodge to get in our steps.  We sat out at camp and Brian made 14 bean soup.  I took tamales.  A skunk ran us out of Fred and Marys spot.

We drove to Alpine and went to Sul Ross University – Lawrence Hall to a Weight Watchers meeting.  Then we met Brian, Vickie and Marv at LaCasita Mexican Café for lunch.  Then Jim and I went to Plaine Coffee and Tumbleweed Laundry.  After washing clothes we went back to camp and sat outside with friends.

We went for a walk this morning around camp. Jim replaced a rivet on the Casita.  Then we drove to the lookout to get cell service and I called Amelia to wish her a happy birthday.  I couldn’t get in touch with Martha to wish her a happy birthday -- she was having her second chemo treatment.  We hiked the Montezuma trail and the trail to the office.  Afterward we sat outside with friends.  I drove to the lookout around 7 to try to get in touch with Martha again but no success.  We saw a tarantula at camp.

 Jim, Fred and I went for a hike on the Skyline Trail and the CCC Trail.  On the way we found Fred’s geocache at the overlook and then Fred replaced the container to another geocache he had placed.  We found that one also.  In all we got 14,000 steps each.  After getting back to camp we went into town to the Drug Store and Hotel and had lunch.  Duke and Beverlee went with us.  It rained before we could get back to camp and our chairs got wet.  We went back into town in the evening and had a beer at the Bistro at the Limpia Hotel.  Then we sat outside with friends.

We walked early in the morning and talked to friends.  The went into Alpine to Big Bend Brewing.  A couple with a Casita from Ft. Worth were there also.  We stopped by Ace Hardware before returning to camp.

We had breakfast at the Lodge this morning.  On Saturday and Sunday they have a buffet breakfast.  Then we walked the Lodge trail and found 3 geocaches placed by our friend Fred.  After returning to the Casita, Jim watched the Texans game and then the Cowboy game.  Duke’s brother from El Paso surprised them by driving to visit today.   Beverlee fixed chili for supper tonight.

This morning Ann and Gene supplied coffee at their site.  She made some really great sticky buns in her Dutch Oven to go with the coffee.  We drove to the lookout to get cell and internet service to take care of some business.  At night we went to Gary and Marlene’s campsite for supper.  I stepped in a hole with my right foot and skinned my right knee, tore up my right elbow and put a gash in my left hand.

My knee hurts today and my elbow, too.  We drove to town and went to a couple of stores.  Jim walked to get his steps but I didn’t get mine today.  Everyone met at Fred and Mary’s across from us for potluck at 2 pm.  A lot of the staff and volunteers came to eat also.  So did the Park Service Ranger.  At night we had leftovers from yesterday and today for supper.  Then we watched the debate between the Vice Presidential nominees.

Beverlee and Duke fixed SOS for breakfast this morning.  It was really good!  We drove into Alpine today.  On the way we stopped at Fort Davis Outfitters.  We had lunch at a Chinese buffet in Alpine and then went to the Museum of the Big Bend on Sul Ross University Campus.  Jim wanted to stop at the Humane Society thrift store and then we went to Dollar General.  Big Bend Brewing opened at 4 pm and we got there just as it opened.  We had a couple of beers and they gave us some swag to take back for the raffle at the Dixie Cup Homebrew Competition.  Before leaving Alpine we stopped at the grocery store and picked up a cake for Marlene’s birthday in two days.

We walked around camp this morning and then we drove the scenic loop out of Ft. Davis.  This loop takes you by the Davis Observatory.  We stopped and took a few pictures of the telescopes and the view from the mountain.  Tonight was soup night at camp and we had some really good live music from a neighbor of the rally host, Brian.


This morning we drove into Ft. Davis to the Hotel Limpia’s coffee shop, The Porch.  We had some coffee and sweet rolls.  Then at camp we had a pancake breakfast at the interpretive center.  After lunch we drove to Marfa.  We walked around the courthouse square and went into the Hotel Paisano.  This is were the cast stayed while filming “Giant”.  We went to the Marfa & Presidio County Museum that is in an 1880 adobe house.  Then we drove to the Chinati Foundation art museum.  We walked around the outside sculptures by the foundation's founder, artist Donald Judd.  At camp we had cake for Marlene’s birthday.  It was very cold and windy this evening and we didn’t stay outside long.

This morning Fred and Mary fixed biscuits and gravy for breakfast.  Then we went into town to the book sale at the Library.  I got some children’s books and CDs.  I also got me some paperbacks and Martha a book about Elvis.  Jim got two DVDs.  We found 4 geocaches in town and then had ice cream at the Caboose.  Jim watched the Texans game and I went for a walk.  We had hotdogs at Fred and Mary’s in the evening.  Then at 7 pm a bunch of us went Fort Davis State Historic Site.  They had a night time walk around the fort.  This was a trial run to see if they would do it again and we were the guinea pigs.  They had a few people carry lanterns and the volunteers were dressed in period clothes and they told some stories from the era.  It was a lot of fun.  When we got back to camp we went to Brian’s to sit by the fire.  It was cold again tonight and only five of us sat outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment